Message sent from:



Our Local Offer – information relating to Special Educational Needs and / or Disability provision in our schools


Formulated by our cluster SENCOs for all our children and young people.




‘Together we can share our expertise to make sure all children in our schools

achieve their very best’

Broad Town CE Primary School:

 Living and Learning, Sharing and Giving


School Information

What % of pupils have SEND at our school?

Approximately 34% are at School Support & 4% have ‘My Plans’ (statement)


How well do SEN pupils do at Broad Town?

 SEN pupils making expected or better progress (Term 1 Autumn 2020- Term 1 Autumn 2021)

reading - 84%

writing - 82%

mathematics - 80%


Who do I contact in school for more information?

Miss Dent is the school SEN co-ordinator (SENCO) 01793 731395


Who do I contact at Wiltshire Council for more information?


0300 456 0100 – phone this Wiltshire Council number and then ask for SEN support


If your child has any additional needs when they start school, please let the school Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator  - SENCO(Miss Dent) know and a support plan can be put into place.


If your child is identified as having any additional needs whilst they are at school, we will plan together and have regular meetings to ensure we do our very best for your child.


We try to ensure that parents are well informed about all we do at school. Here are links to some key documents:

Wiltshire Council – Local Offer


A summary of the changes to the new SEN Code of Practice  - http://www.nasen.org.uk/uploads/publications/284.pdf

British Dyslexia Association -


The National Autistic Society –


Support for parents:



Please see school policy pages on the website for school policies including:

SEN Policy

Equality Policy

Equality Information

Assessment & reporting policy etc…

Behaviour & Anti Bullying Policy

Medical Conditions Policy

Admissions Policy


On the following pages we list what services we can provide, support given or signpost to other information and services. Our teachers and teaching assistants take every opportunity to keep up to date with all areas of need. If your child has needs that are not listed below, or needs that you feel we may not support fully, please come in and chat with us to see if we can develop something together.


There are many services provided by Wiltshire Council signposted in their ‘ASK’ booklets and website – www.askwiltshire.org


General Information:

What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

Talk to your child’s class teacher. They may ask you to make an appointment to see the SENCO as well.

How will the school identify and / or let me know if my child has SEN?

Children’s progress is discussed at regular parent/teacher meetings. At Broad Town, teachers and TAs have had training in many areas and know signs to look out for to help identify and support children with many special educational needs. All children’s progress is regularly tracked and discussed with the head. If we see that a child is not making progress and the things put in place (such as intervention programmes) to help children move on are not having a visible impact after a set period of time, then we will inform the parents and if necessary, make a referral to a specialist service so that an assessment can be made by experts and strategies and suggestions can be implemented.


Supporting your child:

What support will there be for my child?

Teachers will plan and teach activities to the work level of your child. They will also give resources to help your child learn. Teaching assistants are available to support children’s additional needs through intervention programmes outside of the classroom. This can be in small groups or individual work.  We do not have TAs working in the classrooms.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

All of our teachers have had specific phonics training.  Our TAs are experienced in delivering a range of intervention programmes including:

Letters & Sounds

Precision teaching

Numbers Count

Back On Track


NELI early language programme

basic dyslexia screening

basic visual stress screening

We have members of staff trained for paediatric first aid and all our staff are trained in epi-pen use and child protection.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

We want all children to make progress, so if they have a period where they are not making progress we will use a TA or a teacher to support them. Teachers and TAs will assess pupils as part of the normal lesson time and then decide what intervention programme is needed to support that particular area.

If we use an external agency to assess a pupil, they will suggest strategies or support and the school will put these in place.

If a child has additional needs, we may request a statutory assessment and this is followed by a ‘My Plan’ or Education Health Care Plan and in these documents it is explained what support is needed and how it will be funded.



Specific needs information & support:

Communication & Interaction

Support to help children develop better communication skills. Teaching assistants deliver programmes set by Speech and Language therapists which mirrors the work done at home.

Cognition & Learning

Teachers and teaching assistants have had training on supporting dyslexic children and those with autism within the classroom.

Sensory & Physical Needs

Plans from the therapist can be delivered by the TA which will mirror the work done at home.

SPARKS programme.

Social, Emotional  & Mental Health

Tranquillity Zone         Playleaders

Circle of Friends          Social stories         Social skills

Lego social skills groups                     Equine Assisted Learning

Medical Needs

Eg special diets, allergies etc These are supported by the staff following a Health Care Plan, created by the school nurse.

Speech Therapy

Plans from the speech and language therapist can be delivered by the TA and will mirror the work done at home.




How will school keep me informed about my child’s progress?

All children in school receive a mid year report and then an annual school report in term 6.

As well as these, teachers will conduct progress meetings with parents at least twice a year.

At school, we encourage parents and teachers to chat at the beginning and end of the day so that there is regular communication.

Are parents and carers involved in planning, assessment and review of needs?

Most definitely – they are key to helping children progress – we like to work together closely to meet children’s needs. Children needing specific support will have an IEP (Individual Education Plan) and this will be discussed with parents each time it is reviewed. This happens at least three times a year.

Are pupils involved in reviewing their learning?


Yes, children need to know their targets, they need to be able to share what they find hard and what might help them to learn better.



General things you might want to know?

How accessible is the school setting?

The buildings are accessible via ramps.

We have a disabled toilet facilities between Class 2 and 3.

Who will be responsible for my child’s day to day needs?

The class teacher is responsible for your child’s day to day needs.

Will my child be included in all curriculum areas?

We will do all we can to ensure that your child will have access to the curriculum, just like other children.

Will my child be able to go to after school activities and trips?

Children are encouraged to go to after school activities, tournaments and extension activities. We choose our residential sites carefully so that they are fully accessible too. All children can go on trips as they are chosen with the children in mind.  Please inform the class teacher about any special arrangements that you feel might be necessary to enable your child to attend trips.

What do you have in place to make sure my child is not bullied?

We have a comprehensive, very clear behaviour management policy which includes anti-bullying that was created with parent and pupil input. We all work together to make sure no bullying happens at our school or, if it does happen, it is stopped immediately, with support for the victim and guidance for the bully.

What is a ‘one page profile’ sheet?

This is a single sheet created with the child that captures all a child’s needs, what makes them happy, what works well, what does not work well etc – it is a useful document for some children so anyone can see information quickly and clearly.

What is a ‘my plan’?

This is used for children with a very high level of need. It is compiled by the SEN team following an assessment by the local authority. This is a document that tells you all about a child, their particular needs and what provision should be put in place for them. 

What is an IEP?

An Individual Education Plan (IEP) is sometimes used to state and monitor pupil targets.

Who makes sure that children with SEN are looked after well?

Miss Long, the head, and Miss Dent, the SENCO, together with the class teachers, monitor the progress and happiness of our SEN pupils.

Who do I contact if I am not happy with the support or education my child is getting?

You can contact your child’s class teacher in the first instance as they should be able to change things or try something new. You can also speak to Miss Long or Miss Dent. If you do not want to contact the head teacher / SENCO use the ASK service to request advice.




Questions from children & young people:

Can I come and visit the school before I start?

We encourage everyone to come and visit before they start so you can meet us and the children and see our  grounds and school.

What things do you have at your school?

Our classrooms are bright and well equipped. We have lots of ipads and IT equipment to help learning. We have a large playground and field, as well as a forest.

We have lots of playtime equipment to make lunch and play times as fun as possible.

Can I get around the school easily?

Yes very – the classrooms are all on one level and are accessed via ramps.

Can I go on trips?

Yes, we encourage it! We organise trips with all children’s needs in mind.

Will I be able to join after school activities?

Yes, we have lots of different clubs – some that the children run and some that the teachers or outside clubs run.


Moving on:

What will happen when my child moves to their next school?

We feel that a smooth transition process is very important for our children. Pupils will be able to visit their new school, more than once if necessary. We have meetings to share notes so that the new teachers will know all about a child’s needs. We work very closely with our secondary schools to make sure that this process is smooth and happy.



We are very keen to hear how you think we can improve our service, so feel free to contact the school SENCO and tell us what you think!



Hit enter to search